Ahead of the General elections this year, the government has announced reservation in jobs for those belonging to the upper castes and earning less than Rs 8 lakh per year, sources said. That means the benefits would be extended to those whose family income is under Rs 8 lakh per annum.
With this constitutional amendment, now the reservation would stand at 60%.
A constitutional amendment bill will be moved in the parliament to this effect.
The Supreme Court has capped at 50% the quota for caste-based reservation for government jobs.
TN alone has 69% reservation as of now, with the increase through a constitutional amendment, reservation quota in TN would stand at 79%
Criteria for the economically backward section:
1) Annual income below 8 lakhs
2) Agricultural land below 5 hectare
3) Residential below 1000 sq ft.
4) Residential plot below 109 yards in a notified municipality.
5) Residential plot below 209 yards in non-notified municipality area